Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Doctor, Queen of the Upper East Side

I visited a doctor today. I am sick for the first time since moving to America. I was assigned the first available physician, and the one I received was a jolly man, short and ruddy-faced. I proceeded to tell him how I was feeling lethargic, with a sore throat and an upset stomach, before he interjected joyfully with, "Have you seen 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' the movie?" "Um, ah, yes, yes I have seen that film," I replied. "Well, I've just seen the Broadway musical, and your accent is just reminding me of it!" he exclaimed. Then he asked me where I was from, gave the mandatory declaration of every American talking to an Australian that he intends to visit Sydney, and inquired as to whether you correctly pronounce Melbourne as Mel-born, Mel-bin or Mel-bonne. He told me I had strep throat, and must eat only bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. When I asked about yogurt, he responded, "Oh my, there it is again - your accent is just taking me right back there! Oh, I love it, I just love it!" His love of Australian camp was infectious (pun intended). I left his office thinking of my inflamed tonsils, and also of Hugo Weaving, whom I used to see strolling through Darlinghurst on a weekly basis. I wonder if he knows what joy he has brought to the world?!

No comments:

Post a Comment