Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oz love



This is Melbourne band The Drones performing a cover of Kev Carmody's 'River of Tears' at the Cannot Buy My Soul concert at Sydney's State Theatre in 2008. The concert was a tribute to Carmody, who is an Aboriginal singer whose songs are often about black deaths in custody.  I have been feeling particularly homesick the last few days, and listening to a lot of Australian music as a result. I guess I've just been craving the sound of a guttural Australian accent, and one of the reasons why I love The Drones so much is because of their very distinctive Melbourne sound. I was recently discussing Oz music with an American who works in the music biz and he said he loves discovering a band that actually embodies the sound from whence they came. Gareth Liddiard could never be accused of adopting an American accent in his singing, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment